This post is in honor to Evelyn, who we lost this week to Heaven. She was such an example to me. I wrote this on her birthday in 2009.
I have a confession to make. 15 years ago, I was a teenager who did teenager things. My buddy Benny and I could really give adults some stress. Our actions actually helped originate the phrase, "shock and awe".
As teenagers in the youth group we came to be constant pests to Grace's faithful custodian. She learned to always worry(and rightfully so) when we were around. I am sure she grew to dislike summer when kids were off school because of us.
Some headaches we graced her with:
- racing wheelchairs down the hallway
- shooting water balloons off of the roof of the church
- water fights in the hallway
- food fights in the hallway
Don't worry, I think I turned out okay. As God would have it, after a long stretch in the business world - He planted me here at Grace as Director of Staff and Ministry Development AND her supervisor. (Not quite sure how she felt about that at first)
I would like to publicly say what an honor it is to learn from her and watch her service and dedication in action.
Some lessons she has graced me with:
- What a servant of God looks like
- What is means to be a dedicated hard worker
- The work you do when no one is watching speaks volumes about your integrity
“Dedication is not what others expect of you, it is what you can give to others.”