Thanks to some books I have recently read including The Next Christians, by Gabe Lyons I was reminded of the following disciplines. As I began to rank them as to what was my weakest vs best practiced discipline I began to realize how difficult it was to label my "best practiced" discipline. That was disappointing for me because I know in my heart that consistent practicing of these restores me from my wayward tendencies.
- Immersed in Scripture (instead of entertainment) - TV, Talk radio, NPR, Facebook, music, film, Internet, iPhone games, video games, social activities, etc
- Observing the Sabbath (instead of being productive) - Ignoring yesterday and tomorrow to be present in the moment. Disengage from a highly productive culture so God can restore us.
- Fasting for simplicity (instead of consuming) - Discomfort from not having to give us a more thoughtful way of living that gives others a glimpse of what restoration is all about.
- Choosing Embodiment (instead of being divided) - "Less is more" concept in giving others our attention. Mastering the practice of being fully present in your relationships, meetings, one on one conversations and community.
- Postured by Prayer (instead of Power) - Prayer by its very nature settles the soul in a me centered world. Reminds us that we are not in control and that we are not the ones responsible to "make it happen".