Are you into motivating or being motivated? Check out this video by Daniel Pink, author of Drive : Daniel is one of the guest speakers at this years Willowcreek Global Leadership Summit. For more information on registering, please go here.
As I watched this, I had 5 thoughts:
- Am I, are you, in a position to motivate? I believe the answer is yes for everyone. We are either a leader, manager, parent, teacher, supervisor, coworker, friend, spouse, student, etc or all of them.
- In any of those positions or relationships that you are in - What motivates you? What motivates those you lead?
- Do you assume that what motivates you also motivates other? Does it?
- If you are leading motivation and innovation in a non-profit, church or para-church organization, how do you motivate? Especially without using money?
- Daniel mentioned 3 factors that lead to better performance beyond financial. Do you agree/disagree? How are you or your organization leading innovation in these areas?
- Autonomy - the desire to be self directed
- Mastery - the urge to get better at "stuff"
- Purpose - the need to be a part of something that transcends profit. Motive for the greater good.